Life is good

Life is good

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Portlandia!!

So I recently got this job in downtown Portland, Oregon. It's pretty rad. I work for Dialogue Direct on behalf of Children International. Children International is a nonprofit organization that sponsors children in eleven different countries around the world and helps these kids get access to clean water, food, clothing, shelter, education, medical and dental care and sooo much more. It's seriously THE coolest program in existence and it's only $22 a month! Which is insanely cheap for all the stuff they do.
Okay, so let's think about this. In High School, I found my passion in Doernbecher Children's Hospital. I saw a bunch of kids in an assembly at my school and then I joined the Kids Making Miracles counsel my Junior year and became a Co-Chair of the counsel as a Senior. Best decision of my life. Seriously, I learned so much about love and compassion and giving that I never would have learned otherwise.
Okay fast forward. A few weeks ago I found this job listing on Craigslist. It looked pretty cool, so I applied. They called me the next day and I interviewed the day after that. It was so perfect. My enthusiasm and passion about helping children get a better life apparently showed through so I got the job. I started this Monday!
Basically, my job is hard but it's a TON of fun. I stand on Portland street corners and make friends with the people who walk by. I also get sponsors for these kids in impoverished countries. So basically, this job was made for me. I get to talk to people all day long. Some of them are old, some young, some happy some sad. It's so diverse and I love it! In those short conversations It is really awesome that I can build a relationship with someone after just talking to them for a few minutes. People are Awesome!
My purpose for creating this blog is to journal my experiences with people in Portland, and with Children International this summer. I've only been at it for a few days, but I can already feel myself learning how to love people on such a deeper level.

No comments:

Post a Comment